Tuesday, August 16, 2011

7th CSA Week




Another rainy day here on the farm but the long range forecast promises sun!!!!! And not just one day but three whole days. The garden sure could use some nice consistent sun and heat. I have to say that for the most part the garden looks pretty good right now. There are some weedy areas I still have not gotten to but for the most part when you drive by the farm things like they are growing well and you can actually see the vegetables instead of the weeds which I could not say was the case last week. Thanks to some early morning weekend hand weeding and Saturday my Dad and Derek spent some time getting the G all widened out to fit our current bed spacing which resulted in us actually being able to use it on some beds, and it worked great.

This weeks large share has 3lb potatoes, carrots, beans, beets, fresh onions, garlic, zucchini, dill, cilantro, swiss chard, kale, small turnips and broccoli. The grab box had leaf celery, cabbage, romaine lettuce and more of the above. The zucchini are really coming along and I would imagine after a few days of promised sunshine we will have a zucchini explosion. I had a lovely treat brought to me tonight at the pick-up, fresh zucchini loaf still warm from the oven. Yum Yum Yum!!!


Red Norland Potatoes

The beans have finally made an appearance, the first planting which I am picking now is pretty spotty but I was able to harvest enough for everyone to get 3/4 of a pound, hopefully the plants have a chance to ripen more beans before Thursday. The next planting is coming along and the plants are loaded with blossoms so i would except lots of beans in the coming weeks. CSA members are more than welcome to do a you-pick for freezing for winter eating if they would like.







A few pictures of the G's big day on Saturday. I would love to get it running better and take it in a parade!!

Widening out the front end


Turning the tires around to widen the back end


Lots of helpers


Dad taking a spin on the G through the beans

If you check out this link there will be a video of myself (Jen) trying out the G with my Dad watching that I don't rip out the beans, which I did a bit, oops. If you click on JenDereksFarm in the top left corner it will take you to two other videos from that day.


Lots of veggies



On a final note our friends Mark & Sally Bernard at Barnyard Organics will have organic lamb and chicken available very soon. They have a great blog and are wonderful hard working young farmers so check it out and send them an e-mail if your interested in ordering anything.

No comments: